Safe, Reliable Academic Break Transportation for Students
Isolated campuses and the high cost of tuition leave many college students with limited options to travel home and back during breaks. Families with students who don’t live near school know the frustration:
- Sometimes there’s a last-minute ride with friends, but often a family member takes time off from work to make the round trip.
- The nearest bus or train station requires a taxi or city bus ride.
- Airports are usually much farther away than bus and train options (and more expensive).
- If a student has a car and parking is allowed on campus, s/he still faces an expensive and worrisome drive - during holiday traffic.
Partnering with Universities to Improve Student Life
Since 2012, BreakShuttle has partnered with colleges and universities to get students home and back during academic breaks. By providing direct, safe and affordable transportation, we help schools make their campus more accessible and help families reduce the financial and logistical stress of having a child in college.
- We contract fully insured and compliant transportation companies across the United States.
- We work with schools to develop unique routes that match the needs of their students.
- We sell tickets through a PCI DSS compliant website. The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) is an information security standard for organizations that handle credit card and debit card information.
- Our flexible business model allows your school to:
- Pay nothing at all - BreakShuttle contracts all of the vehicles and students pay fair market price for tickets
- Subsidize all or a portion of overall travel costs to reduce ticket prices for all students
- Subsidize individuals based on need through discount codes
- Continue to operate the school's fleet of vehicles but sell tickets online through the secure and convenient BreakShuttle ticketing platform
Buses are the safest mode of surface transportation
Safety is a top priority in college and university communities. Commercial buses in the United States have a safety record that exceeds that of any other mode of surface transportation. A Bureau of Transportation Statistics, Center for Transportation Analysis showed that charter buses are 46 times safer than driving an automobile.
BreakShuttle contracts reputable charter companies with years of experience who are recognized leaders in the industry and have satisfactory safety and breakdown records in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration database.
Buses are the most fuel-efficient way to travel
In an effort to become more responsible global citizens, scholastic communities have identified sustainability as one of their top priorities. Many colleges and universities have initiatives to foster healthy living and reduce the strain they cause on their local environment as well as examine the environmental impacts associated with school sponsored activities and services.
In addition to being the safest, charter buses are also the greenest mode of motorized transportation. The Union of Concerned Scientists released a report titled “Getting There Greener: The Guide To Your Lower Carbon Vacation” in which they recommended going by bus, saying “A couple traveling on a motorcoach will generate nearly 50 percent less global warming pollution than they would driving a hybrid car.”
Bring BreakShuttle to your campus
Since 2012, BreakShuttle has made it easy to save time and money as well as avoid the hassle students and their families experience getting home by providing direct, safe, and affordable transportation during academic breaks. As part of the university transportation team, BreakShuttle aligns with Wells + Associates’ mission to plan and modernize transportation networks, including in university communities.Please contact Jon McBride, Senior Associate and Director of Operations, to discuss how BreakShuttle can provide safe, reliable transportation for your students.